Summer 2024 Data Science Intern
Viking Global Investors
Viking Global Investors LP is a global investment firm founded in 1999. We manage more than $41 billion of capital for our investors across long/short, long-only, and liquid/illiquid strategies. We have approximately 280 employees and offices in Stamford, New York, Hong Kong, London, and San Francisco.
The Data Science Intern will work closely with other members of the Data Science team, Investment Analysts, and Data Engineers to develop meaningful insights on global companies and macro trends, and to analyze, extend, and build on Viking’s significant repository of alternative data assets.
We seek an analytical and creative problem solver and provide them with the resources and tools to apply their Data Science training and experience to our most pressing and interesting research questions. The Data Science Intern will both work independently and collaborate with other intellectually curious quantitative professionals. We are open to different durations, start dates, and full-time vs. part time options for the ideal candidate. To learn more about the opportunity, please join our webinar on October 10 at 6pm ET.
The Data Scientist will have the opportunity to develop impactful analyses and insights to be used across our investment process and organization. Activities could include but are not limited to:
- Develop and deliver predictive analytics on companies, sectors, and macroeconomic trends
- Deliver investment insights to the investment team from analysis using alternative data
- Identify and evaluate new data sources
- Streamline the data life cycle, operating model, and process
- Test and evaluate new technologies to enhance our big data platform
- Create centralized and automated analyses and processes
- Contribute to Viking’s overall research effort by sharing information and insights across the firm
Across the firm, we attract motivated, intellectually curious, and analytically rigorous people who are passionate about learning and creating impact. The ideal candidate will possess the following traits:
- A strong performer currently enrolled in a Master’s degree or in a PhD program (3rd year and above) in Data Science, Economics, Finance, Statistics, or related quantitative fields
- Strong communication skills, with the ability to convey complex ideas to a non-technical audience
- Independence of thought and ability to carry out a research project with partial supervision
- Proficiency in Python and statistical libraries
- Working knowledge of SQL, BI software (e.g., Tableau), and cloud technologies preferable
- Sound judgment and ability to take a step back from the analysis and look at the big picture
- Passion for research, proactive and self-motivated
- Commitment to excellence
- Please remember to indicate your school name on the application page.
- In addition to your resume, a supplement to the application is required. In 1-2 pages, describe a quantitative research project that you recently completed. Please include the following details (you must attach this document as a cover letter when submitting your application):
- The research question you were trying to answer
- The data you used
- Your approach, including details on the statistical methodologies
- Your findings
- The computational environment (e.g., language, main libraries, etc.)
Please note our application deadline is November 13, 2023.
Interview process: Our interviews will take place virtually in December.
The base salary range for this position in New York City is $175,000 to $250,000. In addition to base salary, Viking employees may be eligible for other forms of compensation and benefits, such as a discretionary bonus,100% coverage of medical and dental premiums, and paid lunches. Actual compensation for successful candidates will be individually determined based on multiple factors including, but not limited to, a candidate’s skill set, experience, education, and other qualifications. For more information on our benefits, please visit www.vikingglobal.com/life-at-viking/
Viking Campus Recruiting Team