Assistant Director Investor Accounting
About the Company
Valon’s mission is to empower every homeowner. We believe the journey of home ownership starts when you get your keys, but lasts far beyond. We’re creating a world where home ownership comes with ease, security, and financial know-how. Our growing team of engineers, operators, product enthusiasts, and experienced servicing professionals are leveraging technology to fundamentally improve the homeownership experience. Through mortgage servicing—the process of paying off one’s mortgage—Valon is taking the first step in transforming the industry one homeowner, and lender, at a time.
Investor Accounting at Valon
The Investor Accounting Team at Valon is responsible for executing the reporting of mortgage data and movement of funds to both agency and non-agency investors. We are a team of mortgage and technology professionals working side by side to create automation and efficiency using Valon’s proprietary servicing system. We strive to shape a modernized Investor Reporting system while maintaining a strong level of precision in order to meet the requirements and guidelines of our investors.
About the Role
The Assistant Director Investor Accounting oversees the day-to-day operations of the Investor Accounting department and is grounded in process creation and improvement. This position is responsible for ensuring all investor guidelines are adhered to including accurate and timely reporting and remittance requirements using Valon’s servicing system, database, and reporting tools. Processes include, but are not limited to, new investor set up, general ledger reconciliation, custodial account reconciliation, regulatory compliance, and escalated issues to minimize company risk for monetary loss. The right candidate has a deep understanding of cash management responsibilities and is experienced in process design and implementation. Designing and implementing processes is a key requirement for this position - view this as a zero to one type of role.
- Ensures the completion of accurate and timely reconciliation of all custodial, clearing, and general ledger accounts within the established timelines. Ensures exception items are handled in compliance with corporate and investor policies and requirements. Strict adherence and knowledge of GSE and private investor guidelines is inherent to success in this role.
- Oversight of daily cash management including accurate and timely processing of all wires and cash movements ensuring all activity is in compliance with corporate investor policies and requirements.
- Work with senior points of contact to ensure disbursement payments are made timely and correctly.
- Reconcile outgoing transfers from system to third parties, including tax authorities, vendors, and investors.
- Assists in reviewing and responding to all audit exam requests– internal, investor, regulatory and state. Assists with audit departments’ request for wire transfers to investors, ensuring adequate documentation, error free computations and accurate source and receiver information. Experience with REG AB and USAP reporting and compliance is a plus.
- Perform analysis and reviews on new reporting and accounting formats and or proposed changes to reporting and/or requirements.
- Interacts with other departmental personnel to ensure new servicing/reporting requirements are in place and functioning as expected.
- Research and resolve moderately complex reconciliation and settlement issues and ensures that errors and discrepancies are resolved, and appropriate follow-up is completed.
- Performs monthly audits of investor collection and escrow accounts.
- Primary liaison between Banking, Payments, Finance and Investor Reporting teams to ensure accuracy and compliance of all Investor Reporting/Accounting
- Coordinating the opening of bank accounts at various financial institutions. Escalating processing issues from the financial institutions.
- Monitoring all investor bank accounts for compliance of reconciliations and clearing of outstanding items.
- Analyzes remittance differences between investor accounting reports and remittance reports to maintain cash in custodial accounts.
- Daily balancing activity to ensure cash and system processing equal prior to day end cycling.
- Daily balancing of all incoming receipt accounts and outgoing disbursement accounts to ensure proper resolution of unidentified recon items. Escalate stale recon items timely for resolution
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret technical procedures, or government regulations.
- Proficiency in writing reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, and borrowers.
- Ability to create processes and procedures and identify operational improvements
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
- GAAP Accounting knowledge and experience preferred.
- Five (5) to Seven (7) years related experience and/or training in an Investor Accounting mortgage servicing environment.
- Proficient with MS Office, strong in MS Excel.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong analytical and problem solving ability.
- Ability to organize, prioritize and allocate workload for optimum efficiency and deadline management experience preferred.
- Ability to manage and complete short or long term special projects as requested in addition to regularly assigned duties.
- Ability to work as part of a team in achieving goals of the Company. Prioritizes company over team over individual.
- Good organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to make decisions independently with minimal supervision.
- Knowledge of FHA, VA, and USDA loan guidelines.
- Knowledge of Ginnie Mae, Fannie Mae or Freddie Mac servicing guidelines
- Compensation: competitive salary with a meaningful stake in the company via equity and our performance bonus program and 401k plan
- Health & well-being: we’ll invest in your physical and mental well-being with comprehensive medical, dental, & vision benefits, One medical membership, and Talkspace to provide mental health support
- Food & meals: in-office snacks and drinks, and $400 monthly stipend towards your lunches or groceries
- Commuter benefits: We offer pre-tax deductions for public transportation, rideshare services, and parking expenses to make your commute more affordable and convenient.
- Grow together: Company wide orientation for you to successfully onboard and other learning & development opportunities including regular review cycles that feature 360 degree feedback
- Play together: quarterly budgets for team and company outings. Use it for team swag, cooking classes or team dinners!
- Generous time off: flexible paid time off, sick days, and 11 company holidays
- Baby bonding time!: 3 months off for birthing parents and 2 months off for non-birthing parents - fully paid so you can focus your energy on your newest addition