Senior Software Engineer
About the Company
Valon’s mission is to empower every homeowner. We believe the journey of home ownership starts when you get your keys, but lasts far beyond. We’re creating a world where home ownership comes with ease, security, and financial know-how. Our growing team of engineers, operators, product enthusiasts, and experienced servicing professionals are leveraging technology to fundamentally improve the homeownership experience. Through mortgage servicing—the process of paying off one’s mortgage—Valon is taking the first step in transforming the industry one homeowner, and lender, at a time.
Engineering at Valon
We are building a world-class engineering team to automate one of the most regulated spaces in the financial sector - the mortgage and housing industry. We come from companies like Google, Facebook, Spotify, Oscar Health, and Twilio. You’ll join a small, tight-knit group of engineers who are developing flexible backend architecture to accurately handle billions of dollars at scale. In addition, our team of engineers is fulfilling Valon’s mission by creating a great user experience to help homeowners manage their mortgages through a platform that delivers new features quickly and with quality. Our tech stack is built on Python, React, Docker, Kubernetes, and Google Cloud Platform.
The Escrow team makes sure that homeowners' properties are protected:
* Pay taxes and insurance on behalf of homeowners, to this end, we build systems that pay millions of dollars per day to tax authorities and insurance carriers across the country.
* Ensure that the property is protected, for example, making sure that the insurance coverage is sufficient in case of a disaster.
* Help homeowners through difficult times, such as paying out insurance claims, or avoiding tax sales.
To accomplish these goals, we build systems that pay millions of dollars per day to insurance carriers and tax authorities across the country. We work with a number of vendors to validate loan and tax information. Lastly, we build tooling to enable an exceptional experience for homeowners. This is a win-win, as a seamless experience saves homeowner time.
- Learn new concepts and technologies quickly and apply them to challenging problems
- Design and build robust and extensible infrastructure to handle evolving and complex federal, state, and agency regulations
- Dive deep to understand the inner workings of a highly complex industry
- Work with Product and Design to define the best experience for our customers
- 4+ years of software engineering experience building quality software applications at scale
- Strong communicator. Able to work cross-functionally to balance product and technical requirements
- Great at building scalable systems from scratch with a fast turnaround
- Experience with one or more of the following: web application development, mobile application development, building large-scale distributed systems, or infrastructure management
- Time management skills that will maximize efficiency in a fast paced startup environment
- Base Compensation Band: $175,000 - $205,000
- Compensation; competitive salary with a meaningful stake in the company via equity and our performance bonus program
- Health & well-being; we’ll invest in your physical and mental well-being with comprehensive medical, dental, & vision benefits, One medical membership, and Talkspace to provide mental health support
- Food & meal allowance; in-office snacks, drinks, Tuesday dinners, and $400 monthly stipend towards your lunches or groceries
- Grow together; learning & development opportunities including regular review cycles that feature 360 degree feedback
- Equipment; we’ll provide you with the equipment you need to be successful and a one-time $200 stipend for your initial desk setup
- Generous time off; paid time off, uncapped sick days, and 11 company holidays
- Baby bonding time!; 3 months off for birthing parents and 2 months off for non-birthing parents - fully paid so you can focus your energy on your newest addition