Senior Product Designer
About the Company
Valon’s mission is to empower every homeowner. We believe the journey of home ownership starts when you get your keys, but lasts far beyond. We’re creating a world where home ownership comes with ease, security, and financial know-how. Our growing team of engineers, operators, product enthusiasts, and experienced servicing professionals are leveraging technology to fundamentally improve the homeownership experience. Through mortgage servicing—the process of paying off one’s mortgage—Valon is taking the first step in transforming the industry one homeowner, and lender, at a time.
The design team at Valon
Valon’s Design is a tight-knit and ambitious team; As a user-centered design team, we create meaningful and intuitive experiences that set the industry bar. Today, our core products include a mortgage servicing platform that empowers our servicing agents and a homeowner console to manage all things mortgage-related easily.
Our company is at the unique stage where you’ll have the opportunity to help shape the core experiences of the homeowners we serve. Sitting inside the product organization, you’ll work closely with our world-class cross-functional teams to make products that deliver value to homeowners, servicing agents, and mortgage lenders.
A portfolio is required for consideration.
About this role:
We seek a talented Senior Product Designer to join our Mortgage Delinquency Team (DQ). As a Senior Product Designer, you will be able to define the ideal user experience for homeowners facing financial hardships. In addition, you will create our servicing agents tool to help us better serve our homeowners as they navigate a stressful time in their financial lives.
The complicated delinquent states often come with various edge case considerations; you will need to be comfortable working in ambiguity and partner with internal stakeholders to distill such complexity into simple solutions. Finally, you will work closely with cross-functional teams to deliver high-quality products that solve real user problems and meet business goals.
- Design large-scale zero-to-one product experience — using end-to-end design process from research, prototyping, testing, to delivery.
- Build expertise in multiple DQ verticals and context switch efficiently in a fast and iterative environment.
- Create user journeys, wireframes, and high-fidelity designs that communicate design solutions and align with business goals.
- Collaborate with product managers, engineers, legal experts, and stakeholders to ensure designs are feasible, scalable, and comply with laws and regulations.
- Champion user-centered design principles and advocate for user needs throughout the product development lifecycle.
- Mentor and guide junior designers, sharing best practices and fostering a culture of design excellence.
- Work within and help evolve our design system, ensuring a cohesive and consistent visual language and user experience across all products and platforms.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to ensure a cohesive user experience across multiple products and platforms.
Senior at Valon means:
- A track record of creating intuitive flows and elegant user experiences. Despite working with complex edge cases, compliance considerations, and technical constraints.
- Plan and execute projects independently. You discover impactful problems to work on, prioritize or deprioritize work with little or no guidance, and determine when to cut scope if necessary.
- Shape the vision for your product area. Using your domain expertise and understanding of how your product area’s efforts impact company objectives. You participate in developing your team’s roadmap, processes, and organizational plans.
- Cross-team leadership. You’re proactive about driving impactful initiatives forward, coordinating with others to resolve cross-domain challenges, and investing in others’ growth through actionable feedback and coaching.
- Think and design at a system level. Not just at a feature level. While solving a specific problem, you consider how it relates to similar issues in other areas and how to build consistent experience.
Qualities we value on the design team:
- User empathy and advocacy.
- Strong communication and collaboration.
- Critical thinker and thought partners.
- Humble and growth-oriented mindset.
- Caring about the big picture as much as the pixel-perfect work.
- Excitement about working in a startup environment.
- 5+ years of experience with user-centered product design
- A solid portfolio
- Experience working within the context of digital products
- Ability to balance methodological rigor with scrappiness and creativity
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
Experience with the following is not required but is a big plus:
- Startup experience
- Familiarity with the mortgage landscape / financial systems
- Experience with both consumer tech as well as enterprise software
- Compensation; competitive salary with a meaningful stake in the company via equity and our performance bonus program
- Health & well-being; we’ll invest in your physical and mental well-being with comprehensive medical, dental, & vision benefits, One medical membership, and Talkspace to provide mental health support
- Food & meal allowance; in-office snacks, drinks, Tuesday dinners, and $400 monthly stipend towards your lunches or groceries
- Grow together; learning & development opportunities including regular review cycles that feature 360 degree feedback
- Equipment; we’ll provide you with the equipment you need to be successful and a one-time $200 stipend for your initial desk setup
- Generous time off; paid time off, uncapped sick days, and 11 company holidays
- Baby bonding time!; 3 months off for birthing parents and 2 months off for non-birthing parents - fully paid so you can focus your energy on your newest addition