VP of People/CPO
About the Company
Valon’s mission is to empower every homeowner. We believe the journey of home ownership starts when you get your keys, but lasts far beyond. We’re creating a world where home ownership comes with ease, security, and financial know-how. Our growing team of engineers, operators, product enthusiasts, and experienced servicing professionals are leveraging technology to fundamentally improve the homeownership experience. Through mortgage servicing—the process of paying off one’s mortgage—Valon is taking the first step in transforming the industry one homeowner, and lender, at a time.
People at Valon
At Valon, we’re building not just a product, but also a company and our People team ensures that we’re investing in and scaling the most important resource that we have: our people.
Valon’s mission is to empower every homeowner. In turn, the People team’s mission is to empower every Valonian to do their part in achieving that mission. This includes all aspects of the employee experience, from recruiting to workplace experience to people operations to human resources. They support our leaders and managers as our teams grow rapidly with scale, provide an environment where Valonians can thrive, and shape our people strategy to align with our business strategy.
About the Role
As VP of People/CPO, you will lead our People teams - this includes Recruiting, HR, People Operations, and Workplace Experience. We are looking for someone who will deeply understand the business and will shape our people strategy to align with the overall business strategy.
At Valon, we span the tech and mortgage worlds - our business requires that we build complex financial software infrastructure while also servicing mortgages day-to-day with an in-house mortgage operations team. You must understand and create the right employee experience for every Valonian, across all departments and functions.
You will work closely with the CEO and COO as a key member on the executive team. The right candidate can both roll up their sleeves and work independently as well as think strategically and run an organization.
- Oversee the entire People function which includes sub teams of HRBPs, Talent, People Operations, Workplace Experience
- Develop and implement end-to-end People strategies (across talent acquisition, employee onboarding, compensation and total rewards, retention and engagement, performance management, org design, leveling, etc) for Valon to achieve its business goals
- Serve as HRBP to executive leadership team and sit on the executive leadership team
- Be a trusted advisor on critical business decisions including org design, planning, change management and challenging people scenarios across the company
- Empower the HRBP team to coach business leaders and their directs to support their development as effective leaders for the organization
- Shape culture and workplace experience for all of Valon across in-person, hybrid, and remote workforces across multiple offices (NY, PHX, remote)
- Enable a smooth and consistent onboarding experience for all new hires
- Ensure that people operations scale successfully as the company scales
- Drive talent density and retention as we continue to grow rapidly
- Own and support all People infrastructure and programs (e.g. leveling, promotions, reviews) across the calendar year
- Work closely with legal to ensure compliance with federal, state, and local labor regulations
- Leverage data and first principles to inform and develop best practices
- 8+ years of relevant People experience
- Track record as a VP level People role
- Experience scaling a company quickly from 250 to 500/750 employees
- Strong understanding of People strategy and ability to come up with a plan that fits within the business constraints
- Strong understanding of concepts around legal and HR risk and compliance, specifically when and how to take HR risks (with the understanding that everything is a tradeoff)
- Reasonable understanding of finance and related concepts
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills to effectively collaborate with stakeholders across all levels and cross-functional teams
- Experience working with an employee base that is largely non-exempt
- Ability to manage a geographically dispersed team
What we can offer:
- Compensation: base competitive salary range of $225,000-$300,000 with a meaningful stake in the company via equity and our performance bonus program and 401k plan
- Health & well-being: we’ll invest in your physical and mental well-being with comprehensive medical, dental, & vision benefits, One medical membership, and Talkspace to provide mental health support
- Food & meals: in-office snacks and drinks, and $400 monthly stipend towards your lunches or groceries
- Commuter benefits: We offer pre-tax deductions for public transportation, rideshare services, and parking expenses to make your commute more affordable and convenient.
- Grow together: Company wide orientation for you to successfully onboard and other learning & development opportunities including regular review cycles that feature 360 degree feedback
- Play together: quarterly budgets for team and company outings. Use it for team swag, cooking classes or team dinners!
- Generous time off: flexible paid time off, sick days, and 11 company holidays
- Baby bonding time!: 3 months off for birthing parents and 2 months off for non-birthing parents - fully paid so you can focus your energy on your newest addition