Group Product Manager (New York City)
At January, we work to ensure that borrowers who fall behind on debt are treated with dignity. Owing to outdated processes and bad actors, traditional debt collection is rife with harassment and fraud. Our products tackle this by helping financial institutions modernize collections, giving borrowers simpler and more compassionate ways to get back on track.
As a Group Product Manager, you will be a player coach providing leadership and mentorship to a small but growing(!) team of highly capable Product Managers to deliver innovative solutions for our clients and borrowers. As January grows, you will drive the product strategy and execution for a new team focused on boosting January's growth through efficient recoveries and helping borrowers regain financial stability with dignity.
In this role, you will have the opportunity to change how millions of Americans experience one of the most challenging parts of their financial lives. You may be the right fit for this role if you measure your success based on the growth of your reports, believe in decentralizing decisions across teams of highly capable and motivated team members, and care deeply about making the experience of being in debt easier to get out of.
The Group Product Manager will report directly to our VP of Product and work closely with the company's Design, Analytics, Engineering, and most other departments. You will make an indelible mark on the people, process, and execution of January. If you're eager to shape the future of consumer finance and make a lasting difference, we want to hear from you!
You might be a good fit if you value:
- Genuine collaboration. We recognize and explicitly reward feedback, alignment, and learning from each other.
- Managers as advocates. You’ll report to leaders invested in your growth and promotion, not just their own. Managers only succeed when their teams thrive.
- Outcomes over output. We value finding ways to do more with less and working smart instead of burning out.
- Continuous discovery. We view roadmaps as living, breathing documents that change as we learn. We are constantly discovering, reprioritizing, and optimizing for improvement.
- Quantitative and qualitative research. Data tells us where problems are; talking to real people lets us truly understand why the problems exist.
- Growth mindset. You’re eager to learn, adapt, and pivot based on feedback and changing business needs.
What you bring to the table:
- Minimum of 2 years experience managing product managers.
- Minimum of 7 years experience in product management, delivering successful and innovative products.
- Experience with Agile methodologies.
- User obsession. Everything starts and ends with the needs of borrowers and creditors. You must develop a thoughtful perspective on what will and won’t change in the next few years to design strategically beneficial offerings.
- Strong communication skills. You’re comfortable leading a team through influence and with quantitative and qualitative evidence. You can make complex strategy decisions digestible and easy for the whole team to understand. You err on the side of clarity and explaining the obvious.
- Comfort with calculated risks and rapid iteration speed. You know that exploring areas with an asymmetric upside is worthwhile. You appreciate that nothing gives us insight into what resonates with our users, like rapid iteration. You minimize risk where you can, but act decisively and fast when opportunities present themselves.
What we can offer you:
- Pet-friendly office (only in NYC, for now!)
- Competitive equity packages, giving you a chance to feel true ownership of your work
- Generous PTO so you can take the time you need to rest and recharge
- Hybrid work model, where our team comes into the office 2-3x per week
- Flexible work hours for better work/life balance
- 12 weeks fully paid new parent leave program for all employees to enjoy bonding time
- Free lunches for team socializing activities
- Annual learning and development budget to invest in your professional growth
- 401k so you can invest in your future
- Gym membership reimbursement
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Free access to the mental well-being platform Spring Health plus 3 free virtual sessions with a Spring Health licensed therapist.
- Commuter benefits for your travel to/from the office
- Endless growth opportunity and the ability to take on new and exciting challenges
- Built In's Best Startups to Work For in New York (2023)
- Built In's Best Startups to Work For in San Francisco (2023)
- Crain's Best Places to Work in NYC (2022)
- Crain's Best Places to Work in NYC (2023)
Our compensation range for the Group Product Manager role is $150,000 to $200,000. We determine the final package by considering experience, applicable education and training, and relevant skills derived throughout our interview process. This role also includes a competitive equity package, giving you a chance to feel true ownership of your work.
January prioritizes the safety and well-being of our team members and, as such, requires all employees who work from or visit a January office to have proof of COVID-19 vaccination or provide a valid medical or religious exemption.