Regulatory Compliance Counsel
At January, we work to ensure that borrowers who fall behind on debt are treated with dignity. Owing to outdated processes and bad actors, traditional debt collection is rife with harassment and fraud. Our products tackle this by helping financial institutions modernize collections, giving borrowers simpler and more compassionate ways to get back on track.
As January’s Regulatory Compliance Counsel, you will support January’s efforts to become a category leader by thoughtfully and strategically navigating and minimizing risk. This role will focus on refining and managing our compliance program, collaborating with Product and Engineering on January’s products and services, and managing our litigation strategy. Ultimately, your work will enhance trust with borrowers, clients, and numerous other stakeholders. You will report to our General Counsel.
- You will collaborate closely with numerous internal stakeholders, such as Engineering, Product, Account Management, Sales, and our leadership team, on product, operations, and company strategy.
- Oversee and collaborate on execution of compliance strategy, including compliance with debt collection regulations, data privacy laws, and rules that impact our new ideas. Develop and implement compliance initiatives and improve our internal audits that will enhance our compliance strategy with all rules, laws, and regulations that impact debt collection and future business lines.
- Manage compliance team and compliance vendors, risk-related policies, insurance coverage strategy, and compliance-related client inquiries
- Assist in the development of and present external communications
- Develop, leverage, and drive strategic and operational initiatives to support January’s growth
You may be a fit if you:
- Have 7+ years of experience as an attorney with experience managing litigation and advising on regulatory compliance in any regulated industry.
- Bonus if you have experience in the financial services industry, particularly debt collection and data privacy.
- Are detail oriented, compliance requires attention to nuances.
- Thrive in ambiguity, you’re creative when it comes to answering novel questions.
- Have an operational and process-oriented mindset, an appreciation that over time, superior processes lead to better outcomes.
- Have a willingness to get their hands dirty and gain exposure to all facets of our business.
- Are analytical and an effective decision-maker, you structure qualitative or quantitative data and draws business-guiding conclusions.
- Possess strong written and oral communication skills, having the ability to communicate with all stakeholders and team members, regardless of seniority and department.
- Are collaborative, you excel at working effectively with others, particularly cross-functionally
- Value accountability, holding yourself and others to high standards.
- Strive to remain up-to-date on technology advancements and legal updates that will safely and ethically improve workflow and processes.
What we can offer you:
- Pet-friendly office (only in NYC, for now!)
- Competitive equity packages, giving you a chance to feel true ownership of your work
- Unlimited PTO so you can take the time you need to rest and recharge
- Hybrid work model, where our team comes in 2-3x a week
- Flexible work hours for better work/life balance
- Generous new parent leave program for all employees to enjoy bonding time
- Free lunches for team socializing activities
- Annual learning and development budget to invest in your professional growth
- 401k so you can invest in your future
- Gym membership reimbursement
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Free access to the mental well-being platform Spring Health plus 3 free virtual sessions with a Spring Health licensed therapist.
- Commuter benefits for your travel to/from the office
- Endless growth opportunity and the ability to take on new and exciting challenges
- Built In's Best Startups to Work For in New York (2023)
- Built In's Best Startups to Work For in San Francisco (2023)
- Crain's Best Places to Work in NYC (2022)