Senior Software Engineer (New York City & San Francisco)
At January, we work to ensure that borrowers who fall behind on debt are treated with dignity. Owing to outdated processes and bad actors, traditional debt collection is rife with harassment and fraud. Our products tackle this by helping financial institutions modernize collections, giving borrowers simpler and more compassionate ways to get back on track.
- Borrower Experience. You’ll work to make the collections experience simpler and more empathetic for borrowers, improving recoveries. This might include running experiments to improve conversion, analyzing user behavior to find opportunities, and designing reinforcement learning models to automate decision-making.
- Client Experience. Build simple, best-in-class tools to help creditors engage with their borrowers, analyze effectiveness, and automate operations.
- Technical Leverage. Develop simple solutions to complex technical scaling problems, improving developer leverage, reliability, security, and compliance. Depending on your areas of expertise, this may include infrastructure scaling, domain modeling, performance optimization, and continuous deployment.
- Developing Peers. You'll level up other engineers by sharing your knowledge of systems, engineering practices, and the problem domain, helping ensure their success. You'll do this through code review, pair programming, documentation, and just plain being supportive.
You might be a fit if you value:
- Genuine collaboration. We recognize and explicitly reward feedback, alignment, and learning from each other.
- Managers as advocates. You’ll report to leaders invested in your growth and promotion, not just their own. Managers only succeed when their teams thrive.
- Outcomes over output. We value finding ways to do more with less, working smart instead of burning out.
- Product ownership. Engineers are owners, not mercenaries. Everyone plays a role in discovering, advocating for, and implementing product ideas.
- Technical quality. We work collaboratively with product to ensure great outcomes without sacrificing quality. Sustainable development is a first class priority.
What you bring to the table:
- Have 5+ years of experience as a Software Engineer
- Have led the planning and execution of complex projects
- Enjoy and thrive in an environment where you’re a mentor to junior-level engineers
- Want the chance to collaborate closely with your peers
- We find that candidates who perform particularly well in this role have full-stack experience
What we can offer you:
- Pet-friendly office (only in NYC, for now!)
- Competitive equity packages, giving you a chance to feel true ownership of your work
- Generous PTO so you can take the time you need to rest and recharge
- Hybrid work model, where our team comes into the office 2-3x per week
- Flexible work hours for better work/life balance
- Generous new parent leave program for all employees to enjoy bonding time
- Free lunches for team socializing activities
- Annual learning and development budget to invest in your professional growth
- 401k so you can invest in your future
- Gym membership reimbursement
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Free access to the mental well-being platform Spring Health plus 3 free virtual sessions with a Spring Health licensed therapist.
- Commuter benefits for your travel to/from the office
- Endless growth opportunity and the ability to take on new and exciting challenges
- Built In's Best Startups to Work For in New York (2023)
- Built In's Best Startups to Work For in San Francisco (2023)
- Crain's Best Places to Work in NYC (2022)
January prioritizes the safety and well-being of our team members and, as such, requires all employees who work from or visit a January office to have proof of COVID-19 vaccination or provide a valid medical or religious exemption.