Application Security Engineer
Pontera is a FinTech SaaS company on a mission to help millions of Americans retire better by enabling financial advisors to manage, rebalance, and report on 401(k) and other retirement plan accounts. Pontera customers range from Fortune 100 financial services firms and large independent broker dealers to small independent RIA’s and advisory firms.
At Pontera, we are proud of our people-first mentality and culture. You will have the unique and exciting opportunity to be part of a team whose mission is to scale Pontera into one of the largest FinTech companies in the world. We have significant funding from some of the most notable venture capital investors, led by Lightspeed Venture Partners, and are in a period of hyper-growth. The next critical step in our trajectory is adding to our world-class team, and that’s where you come in.
We are seeking a skilled Application Security Engineer to join our security team at Pontera, a rapidly growing fintech company, pioneering innovative solutions in the financial technology space. This role encompasses a comprehensive scope of application security responsibilities, with a significant focus on web application and API security.
- Managing vulnerabilities across our application, including identification, triaging, validation and mitigation, in collaboration with developers, product owners, and QA
- Configuring and maintaining security testing tools integrated within the CI/CD pipeline
- Facilitating pentests and bug bounty programs in partnership with external firms
- Conducting secure development training to enhance team awareness and skills in security best practices
- Collaborating with product teams to ensure security is integrated throughout the SDLC, focusing on product security from conception to deployment
- Ensuring the security of web applications and APIs against common attack techniques
- Developing strategies for the mitigation of potential security threats
- 3-5 years of proven experience in application security
- A collaborative team player with excellent problem-solving skills, able to work effectively across various teams and independently tackle challenges
- Passionate about security, continuously seeking knowledge in the latest industry trends, and driven to handle complex issues with creative solutions and leadership
- Profound knowledge and experience with OWASP guidelines are essential. The candidate must be well-versed in identifying, analyzing, and mitigating vulnerabilities in web application and API security.
- Strong understanding and practical experience in defending against common attack vectors such as Cross-Site Scripting (XSS), Cross-Site Request Forgery (CSRF), SQL Injection, and others. The ability to not only recognize but effectively mitigate these threats is critical.
- In-depth experience with SCA, SAST, Secrets scanning, DAST.
- Familiarity with vulnerability rating techniques and models like CVSS, CWE, OWASP Risk Rating, and DREAD.
- Strong understanding of Java, Angular, and SQL. While not required to write code, should be able to understand and review code for security vulnerabilities.
- Proficiency in GitHub, Jira, and IntelliJ IDEA (or similar IDEs).
- Experience with microservices architecture and container technologies like Docker and Kubernetes.
- Strong proficiency in English, both written and verbal, is essential.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, Cybersecurity, or a related field. In lieu of a formal degree, substantial experience in application security or a related area will be considered.
- Preferred Certifications: Certified Ethical Hacker (CEH), Offensive Security Certified Professional (OSCP), GIAC Web Application Penetration Tester (GWAPT), GIAC Secure Software Programmer - .NET/Java (GSSP) or Other relevant certifications in the field of cybersecurity and ethical hacking.
- Valuable Experience: Demonstrated experience in identifying and resolving security vulnerabilities. This can include a proven track record of filing CVEs, active participation in bug bounty programs, or achievements in CTF competitions.
- Opportunity: Have a major impact at a fast-growing startup that is revolutionizing the FinTech industry
- Team Culture: A collegial, collaborative, fun work environment with frequent team events
- Equity: All new hires are eligible for equity grant participation
- Professional Development: Sponsored learning & development program
- Work Flexibility: A hybrid office work model (In-Office Mon/Tues/Weds and WFH Sun//Thurs)