Accounting & Finance
Washington, DC, USA
Posted on Friday, February 9, 2024
Emerson Collective is an organization designed to develop opportunities and solutions in education, environment, immigration, and health equity through philanthropy, creativity and investments. Established and led by Laurene Powell Jobs, Emerson Collective brings together entrepreneurs and academics, artists, community leaders, and more to build solutions that spur measurable, lasting change. We work collectively to make the greatest difference possible.
As with the whole of Emerson Collective, what matters most is that we work with people who are not only the very best at what they do, but also the kindest.
Emerson Collective seeks a highly self-motivated and detail-oriented investment professional to join the Asset Management team. The Asset Management team oversees several mission-driven, multi-asset class (non-VC) portfolios. The successful candidate will be responsible for investment research and impact evaluation and ongoing portfolio management alongside asset management colleagues, and will support end-to-end investment management. The ideal candidate will be results-oriented, have a demonstrated ability to work individually and on a team, and be flexible and adaptable. Prior investment and/or capital markets experience is required, as is dedication to mission-aligned investing.
Please note this position is not with the Venture Investing team.
Role and Responsibilities
- Conduct comprehensive due diligence on new and existing investment managers and opportunities across various asset classes, including public and private equity, credit, and alternative investments.
- Provide comprehensive support throughout the investment process, including financial analysis, modeling, drafting memos, and market research.
- Support or lead special projects such as thematic landscaping of new and existing investment theses, impact investment-related initiatives, and investment and impact reporting.
- Proactively research broad investment and industry trends.
- With guidance from colleagues, manage day-to-day investment team processes, reviewing communications, maintaining records, taking notes, scheduling meetings, and tracking deadlines.
- Assist in modeling and analyzing portfolio performance, risk, and liquidity.
- Prepare accurate investment performance reports and review quarterly reporting, including cash flow analyses and attribution reports.
- Lead efforts to manage and improve the investment database and reporting platform to optimize efficiencies for the Asset Management program.
- Act as a liaison between the investment team and external service providers.
- Collaborate with investment committee members and other stakeholders, offering guidance on potential and existing investments.
- Maintain strong relationships with managers, co-investors, and other partners.
Qualifications, Skills, and Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree in finance, business, economics, or a related field.
- MBA and/or progress towards or possession of a CFA designation preferred.
- Minimum of 3-5 years of relevant work experience in investment banking, investment management, or related field.
- Strong analytical and quantitative skills, and attention to detail.
- Experience with Addepar or other investment performance reporting software a plus.
- Passion for sustainable and mission-aligned investing.
- Familiarity with investment management concepts, including due diligence practices, performance measurement, risk management, and diverse investment strategies.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with the ability to present complex information in a clear and concise manner.
- Excellent collaboration skills, with the ability to work flexibly and interactively within the Asset Management team and across the Collective and partner organizations.
Emerson Collective is a Bay Area-based organization with offices in Palo Alto, East Palo Alto, San Francisco, Oakland, Los Angeles, Chicago, New York, and Washington, D.C. This position is onsite four days per week.
This position requires being up to date on COVID vaccination consistent with current CDC guidelines, subject to documented religious and/or medical exemptions.
Building a diverse and inclusive workforce is key to our mission and values as we strive to create systemic change and open possibilities for all of the communities we serve. To that end, we provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, or genetics.