Corporate Site Reliability Engineer
Dropbox is a special place where we are all seeking to fulfill our mission to design a more enlightened way of working. We’re looking for innovative talent to join us on our journey. The words shared by our founders at the start of Dropbox still ring true today. Wouldn’t it be great if our working environment—and the tools we use—were designed with people’s actual needs in mind? Imagine if every minute at work were well spent—if we could focus and spend our time on the things that matter. This is possible, and Dropbox is connecting the dots.The nearly 3,000 Dropboxers around the world have helped make Dropbox a living workspace - the place where people come together and their ideas come to life. Our 700+ million global users have been some of our best salespeople, and they have helped us acquire customers with incredible efficiency. As a result, we reached a billion dollar revenue run rate faster than any software-as-a-service company in history.Dropbox is making the dream of a fulfilling and seamless work life a reality. We hope you’ll join us on the journey.
ITS delivers business technology strategy and solutions to our Dropbox business partners so they can work confidently, move fast, and scale effortlessly. We aspire to be the connective tissue to the core business of Dropbox as a partner of choice that accelerates and simplifies outcomes. We source, build and implement the right technology solution, and fit it into exactly the right place so that everything meets the high bar that Dropboxers expect.
As a Corporate Site Reliability Engineer (SRE) at Dropbox, you will help lead the infrastructure strategy and technical direction of one of the most innovative technology companies globally. Successful candidates will possess a growth mindset, strong accountability and be passionate about designing, building, and securing scalable infrastructure services in a dynamic environment. You will drive improvement projects in automation and observability and effectively handle incidents that arise in a prompt but measured way. In this role, you’ll serve as a technical lead of programs related to monitoring, metrics, alerting and reliability throughout the IT Services organization, and contribute to the evolution of our world-class infrastructure while ensuring utmost security and scalability.
- Ensure the reliability, scalability, and performance of Dropbox's infrastructure and services
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to develop and maintain best practices for monitoring, logging, and incident response
- Build, Implement and maintain automations & infrastructure-as-code tooling, specifically Terraform, Ansible, and Github Actions as well as custom code platforms.
- Utilize container orchestration platforms, such as Kubernetes, Amazon ECS and Red Hat Openshift, to manage containers at scale
- Manage and optimize monitoring and logging pipelines using tools like Datadog and Cribl LogStream
- Drive improvement projects related to service health and visibility for our stakeholders, ranging from developers to business service owners to C-level.
- Develop and maintain custom tooling and automation scripts in Bash, Python and other scripting languages
- Perform periodic on-call duty to manage incidents related to the reliability of Dropbox corporate services
- Participate in on-call rotations and provide support during and after incident response calls
- 5+ years of experience in site reliability engineering or a similar engineering roles with hands-on coding experience
- Strong knowledge of AWS services, including EC2, S3, RDS, R53, Lambda, and others
- Strong knowledge of Linux administration, internals, filesystems, volume management and specific distro’s such as Ubuntu, RHEL, DNS, DHCP
- Experience with monitoring and logging tools, Datadog and logging pipeline tools such as Vector or Cribl LogStream
- Experience driving one or more transformational programs related to metrics and observability
- Experience with scripting in a higher level language (Python preferred)
- Experience developing automation to solve infrastructure-related tasks with tools such as Chef/Ansible/Terraform/
- Experience with log analysis and building metrics, alerts and visuals from log data
- Strong proficiency in infrastructure-as-code tools, such as Terraform
- Strong Proficiency in Config Management tools specifically Ansible Automation Platform and Chef
- Experience with containerization technologies, such as Docker, and container orchestration platforms like Kubernetes or Amazon ECS
- Knowledge of LDAP, REST API’s and current Auth
- Familiarity with GitHub and Git-based workflows
- Understanding of RDS databases and network security technologies, such as WAF
- Strong problem-solving skills and the ability to work well in a fast-paced, collaborative environment
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
Many teams at Dropbox run Services with on-call rotations, which entails being available for calls during both core and non-core business hours. If a team has an on-call rotation, all engineers on the team are expected to participate in the rotation as part of their employment. Applicants are encouraged to ask for more details of the rotations to which the applicant is applying.
For candidates hired in the following locations: Austin (TX) metro, Chicago metro, Colorado, Massachusetts, Maryland, Oregon, Washington D.C. metro, California (outside SF metro), the expected salary/On-Target Earnings (OTE) range for the role is currently $185,900 - $218,700 - $251,500.
For candidates hired in the following locations: Arizona, Florida, Georgia, Illinois (outside Chicago Metro), North Carolina, Tennessee, Texas (outside Austin Metro), Virginia (outside D.C. Metro), the expected salary/On-Target Earnings (OTE) range for the role is currently $165,200 - $194,400 - $223,600.
Range(s) is subject to change. Dropbox takes a number of factors into account when determining individual starting pay, including job and level they are hired into, location/metropolitan area, skillset, and peer compensation. Dropbox uses the zip code of an employee’s remote work location to determine which metropolitan pay range we use.
Salary/OTE is just one component of Dropbox’s total rewards package. All regular employees are also eligible for the corporate bonus program or a sales incentive (target included in OTE) as well as stock in the form of Restricted Stock Units (RSUs).
Dropbox is committed to investing in the holistic health and wellbeing of all Dropboxers and their families. Our benefits and perks programs include, but are not limited to:
- Competitive medical, dental and vision coverage
- (US Only) Competitive 401(k) Plan with a generous company match and immediate vesting
- Flexible Time Off/Paid Time Off, paid holidays, Volunteer time off and more
- Protection Plans including; Life Insurance, Disability Insurance and Travel benefit plans
- Perks Allowance to be used on what matters most to you, whether that’s wellness, learning and development, food & groceries, and much more
- Parental benefits including; Parental Leave, Child and Adult Care, Day Care FSA (US Only), Fertility Benefits (US Only), Adoption and Surrogacy support and Lactation Support
Mental Health and Wellness benefits Free Dropbox space for your friends and family
Additional benefits details are available upon request.