Associate General Counsel - Regulatory Compliance
Cross River Company Overview
Cross River is a highly profitable fast-growing financial technology company recognized for the third year in a row by CB Insights as one of the 250 best global fintechs. Our comprehensive suite of innovative products powers financial solutions with a strong focus on regulatory compliance for our partners and their millions of consumers around the world.
We are on a mission to build the infrastructure that propels access, inclusion and the democratization of financial services. While our company has tripled in size over the last three years, our strong sense of purpose led Cross River to be named to American Banker’s list of Best Places to Work in Fintech for the last 4 consecutive years. The reason for this success is simple --- our nimble, adaptive, and collaborative family culture lives in every member of our growing team. Together we are at the forefront of technology and innovation in financial services and we invite collaborative and motivated high performers to join our rapidly expanding team.
Legal Team Overview:
We are a team of 10+ US-based attorneys working together to ensure that Cross River’s business and control groups receive the legal advice and support they need in a prompt, efficient, professional and legally proficient manner. We regularly interface with Bank clients on various legal matters to negotiate contracts, control risk and provide business and legal solutions. We are looking for a highly-skilled and experienced bank regulatory compliance attorney to join as Associate General Counsel – Regulatory Compliance, overseeing all Bank regulatory compliance and enforcement matters. Reporting directly to the General Counsel, you will help ensure the Bank operates in a safe and sound manner by guiding the Bank on its compliance with all applicable banking laws, regulations and guidance, and by providing legal strategic advice to management about all relevant regulatory matters. If you are an experienced bank regulatory compliance and enforcement attorney, are a strong writer, like working in a cutting-edge and innovative environment, and are great team player—we want to hear from you!
- Provide clear and concise legal and regulatory advice and support to Bank management and all Bank business and control functions on all aspects of:
- General U.S. banking laws, regulations and related guidance
- Financial crime compliance laws and regulations (e.g., BSA/AML and OFAC sanctions)
- Supervision and enforcement matters
- Third-party risk management
- Primary assistance to General Counsel on all matters pertaining to bank supervision, including safety & soundness and regulatory compliance examinations, and preparing and communicating management responses to related reports of examinations, supervisory letters, etc.
- Prepare, file, track, and manage all regulatory applications and notices, and work on post-approval integration matters relative to the application or notice.
- Provide creative solutions to Compliance, Risk Management, BSA/AML, and Internal Audit functions and other business units, particularly on novel and complex legal issues to support growth and innovation, while advising and applying effective risk management techniques with respect to regulatory matters.
- Oversee and/or supervise attorneys to research and evaluate banking laws and regulations, guidance, interpretive letters, opinions, etc. in the context of assessing risk factors regarding business decisions, operations, and prepare corporate policies and practices.
- Oversee and supervise regulatory counsel in support of new product development and implementation, including drafting and negotiating regulatory compliance-related provisions in strategic Bank partnership agreements and other vendor and intercompany agreements.
- Manage regulatory counsel, including hiring, oversee workflow, provide constructive performance feedback, and track performance in consultation with Human Resources.
- Producing professional quality, efficient legal work product on bespoke projects involving multiple parties under demanding deadlines with appropriate autonomy in execution and delivery of work.
- Suggest new initiatives, including ideas for efficiencies and process improvements by regulatory counsel and ways of working with new product development and compliance teams.
- Instructing and interaction with external counsel, where appropriate, to promote high quality, cost-efficient external legal regulatory services.
- Monitor changes to, and advise with respect to, all applicable bank laws, regulations and guidance (proposed and finalized).
- Demonstrated regulatory compliance work experience at a financial institution or a fintech company.
- Demonstrated regulatory supervision and exam management experience at a financial institution or a fintech company.
- Analytical and problem-solving skills, and the ability to review and anticipate broader organizational impact(s)
- Ability to think “outside the box” in addressing novel issues and a willingness to learn new legal subject matter areas, as needed.
- Self-starter that likes to take on responsibility and committed to continuous improvement; upholds corporate values and displays integrity and high ethical standards.
- Proactively create trust with colleagues with consistent communication and collaborate effectively with multiple internal groups and foster and maintain strong relationships, partnering with other lawyers, risk and compliance partners and business colleagues at all levels to drive results.
- Good time management and prioritization skills, well organized, attention to detail, and able to effectively self-manage numerous several sensitive or urgent issues or projects simultaneously and produce professional quality work under tight deadlines with limited administrative support.
- Juris Doctorate degree required, along with admission to a US State Bar
- 20+ years’ experience as an attorney (minimum of 8 years in regulatory compliance)
- Proven experience as a legal counsel in business environment
- Strong knowledge and experience with supervisory oversight by Federal banking regulators
- Knowledge of laws, rules & regulations applicable to financial services and consumer protection
- Demonstrated ability to act independently yet possess judgment to recognize when to escalate issues for review, guidance, and/or resolution
- Exhibit strong reasoning, market knowledge and decision making skills in order to successfully lead projects, prepare and manage regulatory applications and notices
- Strong written and oral advocacy and corporate communication and interpersonal skills, including to interact effectively, and the ability and desire to build relationships with others
- Additional Preferred Qualifications that will be considered:
- Strong experience working in or with FDIC-regulated institutions and Bank/Financial Holding Companies
- Familiarity with the “FinTech partnership” model and the required risk management and oversight over a Bank’s third-party relationships and service providers, as well as with unsecured consumer finance products (such as marketplace lending)
- Working knowledge of Consumer compliance laws and regulations (e.g., TILA, UDAAP, fair lending, FCRA, etc.), Bank Holding Company laws and regulations (e.g., Regulation Y and Regulation W), and Community Reinvestment Act (CRA)
- Familiarity with digital technology banking matters
Cross River is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Cross River does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status or any other basis covered by appropriate law. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need.
By submitting your application, you give Cross River permission to email, call, or text you using the contact details provided. We will only contact you with job related information.
Something looks off?