Compliance Manager, Bank Compliance
Who We Are:
At Cross River, we’re building cutting edge banking and technology products for the financial services industry. As venture-backed pioneers of the platform-based financial services model known as the sponsor, or partner, bank, we work closely with our partners to offer products such as payments rails and loan origination services to the latest in regulatory and compliance solutions. What drives us every day? A desire to innovate in the service of financial inclusion. Giving access to consumers, whether they are looking for credit or for a better way to pay has been in our DNA from day one. Our nimble, adaptive, one-step ahead culture is powered by our people, and as a result of their creativity, tech-forward thinking and collaborative spirit, we are experiencing explosive growth.
What We’re Looking For:
This role reports directly to the Deputy Director of Bank Compliance (“Deputy”) and is responsible for assisting the Deputy in providing second-line compliance oversight, guidance, and support to the Bank’s business units regarding its internal products, services and internal Bank processes to ensure they are implemented in accordance with regulatory requirements and the expectations of Senior Management and the Board. Further, this role will work in partnership with Bank business units and Bank Compliance staff to develop appropriate compliance controls and assist in the resolution/remediation of internal Bank issues to continuously drive a strong culture of compliance and protect the interests of the Bank. This role will also assist compliance management with building processes for the CMS.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Act as subject matter expert on the implementation of all state and federal laws and regulations applicable to a New Jersey-state chartered, FDIC insured, financial institution, including consumer protection laws and regulations (excluding BSA/AML/OFAC) by providing direction to business units on complex internal bank issues and represents compliance on complex issues/matters.
- Assist the Deputy to anticipate and identify compliance needs, opportunities, and potential solutions throughout the organization, and leads cross-functional teams through the issue management and resolution process.
- Support the Deputy to ensure compliance related issues are appropriately addressed and are effective in preventing recurrence by collaborating with management to develop solutions in enhancing and implementing the compliance oversight and control framework
- Assist in overseeing the development, maintenance and execution of effective Bank standards and effective internal controls for new and existing internal products, services, processes, or initiatives.
- Assist in overseeing the creation and updating of the Bank’s compliance-related policies, procedures, and disclosures, including assessing for current and new regulatory requirements, and implementing/remediating gaps in existing policies and procedures.
- Assist the Deputy to ensure that project/department milestones/goals are met and conducts analysis of resources to ensure appropriate coverage of the team’s responsibilities.
- Maintain and expand expert knowledge of the regulatory landscape and the company’s key challenges.
- Report statuses of projects, initiatives, and issues to the Chief Compliance Officer, Director of Bank Compliance, Senior Management and the Board and escalates issues, as necessary.
- Assist with the preparation for Internal Audit reviews, Compliance Testing reviews, and regulatory examinations and inquiries.
- Assist with the planning and building of compliance processes for the Bank’s CMS
- 4+ years’ experience working in banking regulatory related work including areas such as operational, corporate and consumer compliance
- 1+ years’ experience in managing and training subordinate staff
- Strong Knowledge in banking laws and regulations, as well as industry best practices.
- Understanding of Bank processes and technologies utilized in banking
- Demonstrated ability to assess complex issues through root cause analysis and other analytical techniques; structure potential solutions; drive to resolution with senior stakeholders.
- Proven track record showing ability to manage multiple large projects and competing priorities.
- Excellent communication skills and ability to interact effectively with internal and external stakeholders at the non-executive and executive level. Effective persuasion skills, a proactive and “no surprises” approach to communicating issues, and strength in sustaining independent views.
- Strong presentation skills with the ability to articulate complex problems and solutions through concise and clear messaging.
- Experience supporting regulatory exams and audits.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Self-starter, strong attention to detail, team oriented, organized.
- Interest in technology and innovation. Prior fintech experience a plus.
- CRCM and/or JD a plus.
Salary Range: $120,000.00 - $165,000.00
Cross River is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Cross River does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status or any other basis covered by appropriate law. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need.
By submitting your application, you give Cross River permission to email, call, or text you using the contact details provided. We will only contact you with job related information.
Something looks off?