Senior Full-Stack Engineer
Coast is re-imagining the trillion-dollar U.S. B2B card payments infrastructure, with a focus on the country’s 500,000 commercial fleets, 40 million commercial vehicles, and many million commercial drivers. The incumbent technologies that cater to these customers are decades old, and drivers, fleets, and the merchants that serve them all increasingly demand modern digital experiences and affordable and transparent financial services products. Coast's mission is to deliver them at a transformational scale, and to improve working lives in one of the country’s biggest industry sectors. The company is backed by top fintech and mobility venture funds.
Coast is competing and winning with software, and we are building a world-class engineering team. We are looking for front-end, full-stack, backend, and platform engineers. This is a unique opportunity to get in on the ground level early on, contribute and learn in myriad ways, make key decisions, expand your impact as the business grows, have fun, and learn a ton in the process. If you're practical and business-minded, smart and creative, and excited about the rewards and the energy of an early-stage venture-backed startup, we'd love to hear from you.
We believe in re-using existing tools as much as possible so that we can focus on building products for our clients. At the same time we do not hesitate to roll up our sleeves and build our own if needed. Since we benefit from Open Source Software so much, we try to contribute back, e.g. https://github.com/loyada/dollarx and https://github.com/loyada/typedpy
In order to maximize the velocity of our product engineering, we are hiring in NYC and the tri-state area only. Our office is located in the heart of Manhattan’s NoHo neighborhood, benefiting from its vibrant creative energy.
After joining Coast, here’s how your first few months will look:
- Week 1:
- Get a buddy to help with onboarding on Day 1
- Get end-to-end tests passing locally in your environment on Day 2
- Get your first story merged by the end of the week after passing automated checks and peer review
- Start 1x1s with your manager
- Month 1:
- Ship a feature to production
- Contribute to planning, retrospectives, code reviews
- Write your first design document for a major feature
- Month 2:
- Start interviewing potential new hires
- Do your first dev talk
- Establish your development goals with your manager
The Senior Full-Stack Engineer role is incredibly impactful and visible at Coast. It is the engine behind our client-facing features. In this role you will work closely with Product and User Experience to shape, design, deliver, and run the features that differentiate our product for our clients. The ability to work in a cross-functional team, meet the velocity needs, and own the outcome across the whole technology stack is what makes this role so challenging and rewarding. We iterate quickly, prioritize learning from our clients, build quality in, and remain ruthlessly pragmatic.
The Senior Full-Stack Engineer will:
- build product features end-to-end, from web UI to distributed services back end;
- help shape the initial engineering culture of the company;
- have a voice in early technology and implementation choices;
- guide the design of services, domains landscape between multiple teams;
- work to evaluate and integrate critical third-party software and infrastructure including the payments and mobility stacks;
- challenge the team to automate, improve process, simplify, raise the bar for quality.
The Senior Full-Stack Engineer must:
- have 6-10+ years experience working with first-class engineering teams with a proven track record of frequent delivery of quality software to production;
- have substantial experience with modern Python or a similar language ecosystem;
- have substantial experience with modern web development, including TypeScript, design systems, modern frameworks (e.g. React, Vue);
- recognize the need for Domain Driven Design (DDD) to manage complexity and scale software across multiple teams;
- demonstrate a pragmatic take on microservices, CQRS, event sourcing, immutable architecture, modular monoliths;
- have extensive experience working in cross-functional agile teams in collaboration with product and design;
- have deep hands-on knowledge developing applications in the cloud (preferably AWS);
- have a proven history of delivering complex, highly available and scalable distributed systems;
- be pragmatic and get stuff done;
- be passionate about building amazing products for customers;
- be able to work independently with little oversight or management in a fast-paced, dynamic environment with high-energy and mission-driven colleagues.
Our salary ranges are based on paying competitively for our size and industry, and are one part of our total compensation package that also includes benefits, signing bonus, and equity. Pay decisions are based on a number of factors, including scope and qualifications for the role, experience level, skillset, and balancing internal equity relative to other Coast employees. We expect the majority of the candidates who are offered roles at Coast to fall healthily within the range based on these factors.
- Salary range: $175,000 - $220,000 annually
- Signing bonus
- Equity grant: commensurate with level determined at the discretion of the company, with meaningful potential upside given the company’s early stage
- Benefits overview:
- Medical, dental and vision insurance
- Unlimited paid time off (vacation, personal well being, paid holidays)
- Paid parental leave
- $400 accessories allowance for home office setup to be spent on a keyboard, mouse, headphones, etc.
- Free lunch every Friday
Coast is founded and led by Daniel Simon, who previously cofounded Bread (breadpayments.com), a leading payments and credit technology firm backed by some of the world’s top VCs which was acquired for $500MM+ in 2020.
Coast recently raised $27.5M in a Series A financing co-led by Accel and Insight Partners. We're also backed by top fintech and mobility venture funds – including Better Tomorrow Ventures, Bessemer Venture Partners, BoxGroup, Foundation Capital, Greycroft, and Colle – and premier angel investors – including Max Levchin (Affirm), Josh Abramowitz (Bread), Jason Gardner (Marqeta), William Hockey (Plaid), Ryan Petersen (Flexport), and many others.
Coast is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion. We are building a diverse and inclusive environment, so we encourage people of all backgrounds to apply. We’re an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.