This is Adyen
Adyen provides payments, data, and financial products in a single solution for customers like Meta, Uber, H&M, and Microsoft - making us the financial technology platform of choice. At Adyen, everything we do is engineered for ambition.
For our teams, we create an environment with opportunities for our people to succeed, backed by the culture and support to ensure they are enabled to truly own their careers. We are motivated individuals who tackle unique technical challenges at scale and solve them as a team. Together, we deliver innovative and ethical solutions that help businesses achieve their ambitions faster.
This is Data Connect
We are hiring for the Data Connect team in Chicago. This team is part of Adyen's Data Solution strategy to enhance our client's understanding of their customers. We're looking for trailblazers with an entrepreneurial mindset to innovate, tinker, and craft something entirely new from the ground up.
We believe in the transformative power of data. Data is not just a byproduct; it's our driving force, shaping the way we understand our business and deliver innovative solutions to our customers. Within our team, you'll tackle high-impact projects that all revolve around understanding our client's customers. These include developing shopper recognition, attribution, and profiling products. You'll work closely with engineering and product teammates to quickly iterate across every phase of the product life cycle, from evaluating product-market fit to release.
Staff Engineer at Adyen
As a Staff Engineer focusing on data, you will play a critical role in the Data Connect team. This role is pivotal in advancing our data-driven initiatives and contributing to the creation and enhancement of our dynamic data product suite.
We seek a passionate and experienced Staff Engineer with a unique blend of skills encompassing Data Science, Data Engineering, and Software Engineering. Ideally, they will excel in building robust data pipelines with accuracy and performance and possess a unique mindset—viewing data as a product. We envision someone who can go beyond traditional data handling, exploring innovative ways to transform our data into impactful products that empower our merchants to extract more value from their first-party data.
Do you get excited by building a shopper recognition application for the biggest brands in the world? You will work on a low-latency, highly available service and run fancy graph algorithms in parallel over tens of billions of data points in Spark. Help us push the boundaries and find the optimal trade-offs between latency, recency, quality, and reliability.
What you'll do:
Staff Engineers are adept at navigating uncertainty, demonstrating comfort in working with unknowns, and excelling in identifying patterns within ambiguous data scenarios. Their ability to thrive in situations where clear answers are not readily available showcases their agility and skill in finding meaningful insights amid uncertainty. You will be helping build the Data Connect team from scratch, starting with Data Scientists and Data Engineers, together with the Engineering and Product leaders. You will report to the VP of engineering in Data Solution.
- You will have a big say in setting the direction of the architecture and the actual solution of our Data Connect product.
- You will be at the forefront of translating business needs into robust data pipelines, designing and implementing data products, and ensuring the overall quality and performance of our data solutions.
- You will accelerate decision-making and act as multipliers and enablers for technical matters across the organization.
- You will have solid engineering principles of performance, code quality, data validation, governance, and discoverability.
- You will be building ETLs/ELTs and pipelines over big data platforms in PySpark and Airflow with a launch-fast and iterative mindset.
- You will think long-term and lean on experience to aid teams that are blueprinting, defining, or redefining architectures and data models.
- You will collaborate closely with Data Scientists, Data Engineers, Backend- and Frontend Engineers to design and build high-quality data products and tooling.
- You will obtain insights by leveraging machine learning algorithms. Examples are:
- Clustering algorithms to group customers/shoppers.
- Supervised and semi-supervised learning methods for inference on shopper behavior
- Graph analysis and representation learning for behavior prediction and monitoring.
- You will mentor and guide the engineers by helping them grow, make better choices, and mature their hard skills.
- You will implement extremely high-quality standards with great emphasis on testing, deploying, and monitoring.
Who you are:
- You are a technical leader with 10+ years of professional experience, including 2-3 years in a technical leadership role like Staff, Principal Engineer, or Architect.
- You typically have 8+ years of experience in the implementation of data projects like data warehouses, lakes, operational data stores, data modeling, data architecture, as well as data integration methodologies and patterns.
- You have extensive experience with big data frameworks, statistical testing, and machine learning algorithms.
- You have excellent communication skills and are able to convey complex outcomes to a wide range of audiences.
- You are adept at collaborating with cross-functional teams and driving best practices.
- You are familiar with technologies such as Java, Spark, Scikit-Learn, TensorFlow, PyTorch, XGBoost, Pandas, and Airflow.
- You have a strong statistics/mathematics background, this is a plus.
Data Positions at Adyen
We know companies handle different definitions for their data-related positions; this is, for instance, dependent on the size of a company. Since the birth of the Data Solution and the growth of all data streams, we categorized and defined all our positions. Have a look at this blogpost to find out!
Our Diversity, Equity and Inclusion commitments
Our unique approach is a product of our diverse perspectives. This diversity of backgrounds and cultures is essential in helping us maintain our momentum. Our business and technical challenges are unique, and we need as many different voices as possible to join us in solving them - voices like yours. No matter who you are or where you're from, we welcome you to be your true self at Adyen.
Studies show that women and members of underrepresented communities apply for jobs only if they meet 100% of the qualifications. Does this sound like you? If so, Adyen encourages you to reconsider and apply. We look forward to your application!
Ensuring a smooth and enjoyable candidate experience is critical for us. We aim to get back to you regarding your application within 5 business days. Our interview process tends to take about 4 weeks to complete, but may fluctuate depending on the role. Learn more about our hiring process here. Don't be afraid to let us know if you need more flexibility.
Adyen is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any legally protected status.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This role is based out of our Chicago office. We are an office-first company and value in-person collaboration; we do not offer remote-only roles.