This is Adyen
Adyen provides payments, data, and financial products in a single solution for customers like Meta, Uber, H&M, and Microsoft - making us the financial technology platform of choice. At Adyen, everything we do is engineered for ambition.
For our teams, we create an environment with opportunities for our people to succeed, backed by the culture and support to ensure they are enabled to truly own their careers. We are motivated individuals who tackle unique technical challenges at scale and solve them as a team. Together, we deliver innovative and ethical solutions that help businesses achieve their ambitions faster.
As a Database Engineer, you will be part of our Platform Engineering Solution, and would be working mostly with Linux operating systems, using tools such as Ansible and Puppet. We expect you to like working with Linux operating systems, and to make make use of your infrastructural knowledge as well.
The main databases you would be working with are PostgreSQL and CockroachDB, but there may be cases of introducing further databases onto our platform.
All our Database Engineers work closely together, as well as with other teams, such as Network, Data Center and various Development Teams. We expect you to be good at teamwork, skilled in communication and negotiation, as well as have the ambition to grow and improve, and be able to and willing to get to know and understand a complex system and learning and adapting to new technologies.
As a Database Engineer, you are to take into consideration the scalability and reliability of our whole database platform, to think about better practices and improvements, and to execute and oversee them being executed. You will be involved in investigation of unusual issues, application releases, monitoring and consulting with other teams on bringing in best practices. You are to ensure our databases operate smoothly on a daily basis, bringing in automation and improvements wherever needed.
- PostgreSQL, CockroachDB and/or other DB systems
- Linux systems
What you’ll do
- With your strong analytical skills you will focus on performance investigation, capacity planning and taking ownership of necessary improvements
- You will work on scaling and optimising our systems, investigating new technologies
- You are to take into consideration improvement points for our platform and bring in the necessary solutions to achieve best reliability and scalability methodologies
- You are responsible for keeping the databases running smoothly, keeping their environments up-to-date, managing users, provisioning and configuring databases and performing database switches etc
- You are keeping a watch over our alerting system, monitoring performance, helping improving query performance
- You are managing and testing back-up and recovery plans, ensuring that storage and archiving procedures are functioning correctly
- You are writing database documentation and procedures
- You are automating and bringing in improvements on our processes
Who you are
- You have a very good experience with PostgreSQL and/or CockroachDB, or have a very solid understanding of databases in general
- You have a strong sense of ownership towards projects, can take into account its technical requirements and follow up with the different stakeholders
- You can solve and follow up on unusual issues, whether individually or by collaborating with other team members
- You have an interest in expanding your knowledge about Databases, Infrastructure and Distributed Systems
- You are able to create and maintain strong working relationships with colleagues
- You are willing to keep up to date with newer technologies and security requirements
- You are proactive in bringing in improvements
- You are able to work under pressure if needed
- You have a strong interest in automation
- You are interested in contributing to the PostgreSQL community
Our Diversity, Equity and Inclusion commitments
Our unique approach is a product of our diverse perspectives. This diversity of backgrounds and cultures is essential in helping us maintain our momentum. Our business and technical challenges are unique, and we need as many different voices as possible to join us in solving them - voices like yours. No matter who you are or where you’re from, we welcome you to be your true self at Adyen.
Studies show that women and members of underrepresented communities apply for jobs only if they meet 100% of the qualifications. Does this sound like you? If so, Adyen encourages you to reconsider and apply. We look forward to your application!
Ensuring a smooth and enjoyable candidate experience is critical for us. We aim to get back to you regarding your application within 5 business days. Our interview process tends to take about 4 weeks to complete, but may fluctuate depending on the role. Learn more about our hiring process here. Don’t be afraid to let us know if you need more flexibility.
This role is based out of our Amsterdam office. We are an office-first company and value in-person collaboration; we do not offer remote-only roles.