Staff Engineer - Observability
This is Adyen
Adyen provides payments, data, and financial products in a single solution for customers like Facebook, Uber, H&M, and Microsoft - making us the financial technology platform of choice. At Adyen, everything we do is engineered for ambition.
For our teams, we create an environment with opportunities for our people to succeed, backed by the culture and support to ensure they are enabled to truly own their careers. The people of Adyen are motivated individuals who tackle unique technical challenges at scale and solve them as a team. Together, we deliver innovative and ethical solutions that help businesses achieve their ambitions faster.
Adyen provides a global, unified platform with a wide variety of financial services. Observability plays a key role providing comprehensive data to a wide variety of use cases, ensuring the platform’s reliability and supporting our operations to run smoothly.
As part of the Platform Observability team you will build and maintain products and services that enable engineers at Adyen to understand how their services are behaving in real-time, reliably diagnose issues and streamline data discovery through a common observability ecosystem. Between logs, metrics and traces, our platform collects and processes billions of events per day.
What you will do:
As a Staff Engineer working on the observability of the platform, you will play a key role in shaping how teams work with telemetry data, identifying and advocating for best practices for building, running and maintaining observable components.
- Setting technical direction and providing perspective whilst striving for engineering alignment, quality and reducing complexity and dependencies.
- Design and implement system components to ingest, query and process telemetry data according to data requirements.
- Design and evolve APIs that will be used by other engineers in product teams, working together with them to identify pain points and opportunities.
- Identify and tackle bottlenecks and single point of failures in the architecture aiming to improve the reliability of the observability platform and the overall user experience.
- Lead project execution end to end driving features and products from idealization to adoption.
- Propose and advocate for improvements in our processes and tooling following industry standards in the open source community.
- Unblock others when needed to keep the team moving and shipping.
- Advocate and support the development of observability culture within the company.
Who you are:
- 10+ years of experience working with large scale distributed systems.
- Proficient coding in Java and solid JVM understanding.
- Experience working with Postgres or similar relational databases.
- Experience with DevOps, particularly monitoring, operating, deploying and troubleshooting applications and services at scale.
- Strong data background with proven experience with data pipelines for telemetry data including shipping, ingestions, transport, retention and availability of data sources.
- Experience with OpenTelemetry, Grafana LGTM stack and Elastic ELK stack.
- Experience building internal products and services for other engineers as part of a platform team with focus on autonomy.
- Contributions to open source communities is a plus.
Our Diversity, Equity and Inclusion commitments
Our unique approach is a product of our diverse perspectives. This diversity of backgrounds and cultures is essential in helping us maintain our momentum. Our business and technical challenges are unique, and we need as many different voices as possible to join us in solving them - voices like yours. No matter who you are or where you’re from, we welcome you to be your true self at Adyen.
Studies show that women and members of underrepresented communities apply for jobs only if they meet 100% of the qualifications. Does this sound like you? If so, Adyen encourages you to reconsider and apply. We look forward to your application!
Ensuring a smooth and enjoyable candidate experience is critical for us. We aim to get back to you regarding your application within 5 business days. Our interview process tends to take about 4 weeks to complete, but may fluctuate depending on the role. Learn more about our hiring process here. Don’t be afraid to let us know if you need more flexibility.
Please note that this role is a full-time position in Amsterdam. It will require a relocation in case you live outside of the Netherlands.